T: 01603 665 798 M: 07909 684 023
The mill offers accommodation over four floors consisting of a circular living room in the main room with gas fire and radiator with window looking East to Burgh Castle on the ground floor.
Continuing up the main stairs to the first floor to the first double bedroom with view North/West and radiator. Continuing up the steps to the second floor and the second bedroom, the beds can be put together to make a double or separated for two singles with radiator, views west and immediately over the river yare. Continuing again up the steps to the third floor room with two bunk beds and radiator and view up into the double height room to the top of the cap and the original cast iron shaft which would have held the sails. View from North and South the hatches. Red Mill is heated via a gas combination boiler.
As soon as the sun is up then so are the boats. They pass in all shapes and sizes sometimes sharing a word and all share a wave of the hand. Looking down the river from the mill you can take in Berney Arms Windmill which used to produce cement. On the horizon to the north are just visible the new wind turbines at Scroby Sands probably ten miles away. To the east about a mile away on the bank of the mainland is a former Roman Fort at Burgh Castle. This along with Caister Castle was the Romans most easterly defenses, and were originally both sides of a huge estuary. This estuary silted up hundreds of years ago leaving the River Yare and River Waveney to wander through the marsh land. The first mill was erected on site around 1797. To the South you can contemplate your journey back to the main road while looking West watching the sunset. The mill is approximately forty five minutes from Norwich and half an hour form the coast.
The island is laid to grazing and forms part of the Norfolk Broads. Red Mill is located in a wonderfully secluded spot amidst wild countryside and land utilised for arable and livestock farming. Cattle are allowed on the marshes from April through to September whilst for the rest of the year it becomes even more secluded. There is an abundance of wildlife that is to be respected and enjoyed. It is not unusual to see heron perched by the side of the lane on the way to the mill and, in addition to this, wild geese, swans, ducks, curlew, owls, bats, hares lolloping and monkjack deer are a common site.
Red Mill, Haddiscoe Island, Norfolk.
Red Mill was built between 1840 and 1880 and stands on a triangular shaped inland island of approximately 2,000 acres of marsh land. It was originally named Langley Detached Mill but has latterly been called Red Mill. The mill is approached via a four mile track and has mains electricity along with modern and a recently renovated interior. The mill is Grade II Listed and was last used in the early 1940s. It was one of ten or so around the island and built as a drainage pump for the island. It would have been built with four sails and a small fantail. These would have driven an external scoopwheel with a diameter of 18 feet which was capable draining about 200 acres of the island. It is a substantial structure with walls around two feet thick tapering to 18 inches at the top. Some of the original bearings and the cast iron shaft that held the sails are still present under the white cap.
With a kitchen with dining table for six, worktops gas hob, electric cooker, fridge and freezer and gas boiler and bathroom with shower over, basin and wc on the ground floor to the side.
The mill is 30 metres from the River Yare and commands panoramic views all around with large frontage to the river itself. The whole mill is fenced in and does offer a large area of decking facing south west.